Inspired by the savoury puddings of medieval dinner tables, our pickle Christmas Pudding is a tasty savoury alternative to the traditional Christmas Pudding dessert. Packed with toasted sourdough breadcrumbs, mature cheddar, tangy Branston Original Pickle and filled with a decadently stringy mozzarella centre, it’s the perfect dish to share with fellow cheese lovers during the festive season. And if sharing isn’t your thing, we’ve even created mini puddings just for you!
- 320g toasted breadcrumbs (best with sourdough, but any bread will do)
- 140g grated cheddar
- 500g Branston Original Pickle
- 2 eggs
- 2 mozzarella balls
- Festive foliage to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease your pudding mould with butter or cake release spray.
- Dice the bread into small chunks approx. half a cm and toast in the oven until crisp.
- Now combine the breadcrumbs, grated cheddar, Branston pickle and egg.
- Transfer the mix equally into the two pudding moulds.
- Now insert a mozzarella ball ‘core’ into the middle of each pudding, making sure it’s in the centre and covered with the pudding mix.
- Bake for 25 mins at 180°C.
- Carefully turn out onto a tray and brush neatly all over with the Branston Smooth Pickle to create an even, glossy finish. Try to avoid clumping!
- Bake again for 10 minutes at 180°c.
- Decorate with Christmas leaves and berries.
- To reheat the pudding from cool, preheat oven to 180°C and heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Alternatively, for mini puddings, divide the mix into greased cupcake pans and bake for 15 minutes, then turn out, brush with glaze and bake again (on a baking tray) for 6 minutes, cool and decorate.
Best served hot!