A sheet of puff pastry is lined with Branston Smooth Pickle and topped with cheddar cheese. Course-ground British sausage meat is then placed in a large sausage across the sheet before it’s folded over, crimped with a fork and scored diagonally. The roll is glazed with egg wash, baked to golden brown and sliced into portions to be served with a dollop of Branston Original on the side.
- A small handful of flour to dust
- 1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2-3 tbsp Branston Smooth Pickle
- 50g grated cheddar
- 250g coarse-ground British sausage meat
- 6 sprigs of sage, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- ½ an onion, finely diced
- Salt & pepper
- 1 large egg, whisked, for glazing
- 2 tbsp Branston Original Pickle to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC fan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your sausage meat with the sage, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Lay out your sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry and spread over Branston Smooth Pickle, leaving roughly 2cm free from the pickle, around the edges. Top the pickle with grated cheddar and lay out the sausage meat lengthways across the bottom ⅓ of your sheet, over your cheese & pickle. Brush the edges with egg wash, then fold over the pastry and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Brush the outside with an egg wash and lay it across a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, puffed, cheesy and delicious, then slice up into individual portions and serve with a dollop of Branston Original Pickle.