- 500g sausage meat
- 1/2 onion, diced & sweated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced & sweated
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 4 tbsp Branston small chunk pickle
- 6 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 150ml Sunflower or vegetable oil to fry
- Bring a large saucepan of water up to the boil and boil 4 of the eggs for 5 minutes, then submerge in iced water. Peel the eggs, cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage meat, sweated onion, sweated garlic, grated cheddar, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Spread the mix out across a baking tray, roughly 2cm thick, and divide into even squares. Spread each square with 1 tbsp Branston Small Chunk Pickle and top with a boiled egg. Carefully enclose the sausage meat around the egg and seal into a neat ball.
- Whisk the remaining eggs and coat the scotch egg in flour, whisked egg and breadcrumbs. Shallow fry the eggs over a medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes, turning them every couple of minutes or so, until evenly golden and cooked through.